Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Behnaz Sarafpour S/S 2009 Review by Peter

What I love about Sarafpour is the mysterious way her minimal, clean, innocent designs so perfectly vibe for a strong, possibly older, dramatic personality. I keep seeing Barbara Stanwyck in these shapes, and even these soft colors jump in my mind to spotlight-drawing white on a noir screen.







































I'm tired of seeing this look on Williamsburg wallflowers who brunch (like the models above)! It belongs on a dynamo. I don't mean a pompous, condescending, shreaky Crawford type. It has to be someone who is strong enough for angled shoulders but as seductive as a big hibiscus print (wildflowers, above photo, will do). Stanwyck: "We're both rotten." MacMurray: "Only you're a little more rotten." - Double Indemnity.




A little too orthodox, like what a thirteen year-old might choose to wear to avoid frenemy fire at a birthday party





















OK almost there, bringing some christina ricci to the office. 






















And finally my favorite variation, because tunics almost never work: in white, it would be too pious, in black too gallery severe; in pink she's serious but receptive to fantasy. Please don't belt this.

























For my perfectly nice Brooklyn boho women friends, I know you too are capable of attention-worthy struts (sorry about the wallflower comment before). So here are a couple of Sarafpour looks for you. I can't wait to see some freckle-faced, lithe, and lost-looking sophomore shuffling around Driggs Ave. in the buzzy stripe dress, paired with some white horn-rim frames. And "early Chloe Sevigny" types, I look forward to seeing you roller-skating by in that black ruffle dress and hat.

Peter

No comments: