Wednesday, October 29, 2008

The Glass Castle by Jeannette Walls


This amazing biography touched my heart to the core.

I am Stunned by how far Miss Jeannette Walls has come in her life despite the obstacles she had to face.

She was deeply neglected by her parents but somehow she took charge of her life as a teen; to get out  of there, to be able to experience something else in her life. This should be for all of us amazingly inspirational.

Too how she has forgiven her parents and managed to love them dearly, is another level of Amazing inspiration.

I don't want to to tell you her life story, you should read it for yourself.

Here is Jeannette Walls’ reaction to her memoir:

"While I was writing “The Glass Castle”, I kept asking myself, ‘Who is going to care about the life story of some pathetic little girl and her wacky family?’ Sure, my past was eventful, but it was so different from most, that I was afraid no one would connect with it. I would just seem a little freakish. For a memoir to work, I believe, the writer’s experiences have to resonate with others people’s. Who could relate to someone who slept in a cardboard box, often went hungry and ended up living on Park Avenue while her parents went homeless?

Perhaps the thing that has shocked me most about the reception to “The Glass Castle” has been how so many people have connected to the story. “Sure, my life wasn’t quite as dramatic as yours,” they say, or words to that effect, “but there are elements that reminded me of my own story.” Then they reveal stunningly intimate details about their own lives, sometimes things that they had never told anyone before. And I see the person in a new light — always in a more positive sympathetic way.

Whenever I hear someone’s personal history, it always makes me like them more — even if the information is supposedly negative. It helps me understand them. I suppose that’s one of the reasons I enjoy being a gossip columnist. But the ironic thing is that I didn’t realize that people would respond that way to my story, too."

As for me; this story is about Love, Hope and Forgiveness! it is why I love any piece of art, so be it a painting, movie, book or a fashion story. It is all about just these things.

As I've heard from one of those places: "And now these three remain: faith, hope and love. But the greatest of these is love."

Amen
alice

2 comments:

i.d. said...

I've been looking for a new book to read and this looks perfect! Thanks for the recommendation. :)

Alice Saga said...

I am So glad I could be of any help.

xx