Monday, May 07, 2007

Henry Darger




Was a self taught artist. He lived in Chicago all his life, a solitary cleaner. When he died his own fantasy life was discovered when his room (where he had lived most of his life) was cleaned out, painting after painting was discovered.

All in wonderful colors, dreams and nightmares combined into one. It represents the cute and innocent with the terrifying.

Darger’s writings and artworks were an encompassing private world to him, one which the tired dishwasher began to inhabit as soon as he arrived home from one of his 14-hour shifts and sat down at the typewriter or work table. Noone around him knew about his private little work.

Which is scarily like another writer, the book of Alice in Wonderland is written by a man who pretended having the name as Lewis Carrol. This is BY FAR my favorite tale and I can soo relate to the fantasy world of this man. The world of two is what i can relate to. I always wish I am in this perfect world that really does not exist. I live in my dreams ALL the time. I just love it. It makes me and my world a happier place.

Henry Darger is an inspiration to ALL of us artists who often feel helpless and marginalized and that our work has NO worth. HIS creation proves that ALL THAT WE DO/ CREATE MATTERS.

2 comments:

Pas de Deux said...

He is such an inspiration! Have you seen the documentary: "In the Realms of the Unreal"? It's amazing how a human being with no contact with friends or family can create such beauty and go unnoticed for so long!

Alice Saga said...

no, i did not even know it existed. I will look it up.

LOVE